Opportunities for Students to Get Involved in Equity Work

January 2021

Equity has become a buzzword over the past couple years. It is used by schools, businesses, politicians, and more –
often to describe institutions that are not exactly equitable.

What does equity mean anyways? Equity is the quality of being just and fair.

In an equal society, every person would receive the same resources. In a truly equitable society, each person would
get the resources they need to thrive. No one would have the same amount of resources, but everyone would be able
to succeed.

Everybody wants to say that their school, place of work, or community is equitable. The truth is, we live in a world where resources are not justly distributed, and very few places that claim the word are indeed equitable. This means that there is a lot of work left to do, including at our school.

A group of Sleepy Hollow seniors recently created the Student Advisory Committee, along with Dr. Smith, to address these problems at the high school level. They are currently meeting with teachers to discuss ways to make our classrooms more equitable. At the district level, the District Equity Team was also established fairly recently and includes administrators, teachers, parents, students, and community members. Both the Student Advisory Committee and District Equity Team are looking for students to join, especially underclassmen and students of color. These initiatives will not solve every issue, but are great places to be for students who want to be a part of the change making process!

If you are interested or want more information, please contact Jack Weidner at [email protected]