Sleepy Hollow Girls’ Lacrosse 2017

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sleepy Hollow Girls’ Lacrosse 2017

Joe Golden

Joe Golden

Joe Golden

Natalie Smith and Julia Friedman, Staff Writers

Lacrosse has increasingly become an important part of the Sleepy Hollow community. This is partly thanks to coaches Blair Moynahan and John Cincotta’s hard work to build the girls’ lacrosse program at Sleepy Hollow High School.

Moynahan is a physical education teacher at the Morse Elementary School for thirteen years, This season is particularly special because the current senior class is the first grade Moynahan taught at Sleepy Hollow. He added, “These girls were essentially my kids before my own kids.” This unique experience for a coach to know his players from a very young age allows for a strong foundation between the coach and the players.

The girls’ lacrosse program is fortunate to have a junior varsity team. The JV team enables younger players to develop and build upon their skills. “It’s an understatement to say that the [JV] program is on the rise” says Moynahan.

Previously, the girls on Moynahan’s teams would come into high school having never played lacrosse. However, this is changing thanks to the youth lacrosse program in Sleepy Hollow, “Legends Lacrosse”, established 10 years ago. This program has been highly beneficial to the varsity lacrosse program, giving the opportunity for girls to start playing at a younger age. The current sophomores are the first age group that were involved in Legends. Senior captain Amanda Hynes commented, “The high school program has definitely become stronger since I was a freshman; it’s exciting that the players coming up have been playing earlier, thanks to the Legends Lacrosse program. The effects of the program are evident on the team, not only skill-wise, but also in terms of the girls’ devotion to and passion for the sport.”

Along with all the players, Moynahan is excited for this season. Moynahan explains, “No matter what situation [the girls] are caught in when they’re playing, they should always look for the silver lining.” Moynahan teaches motivation and encourages dedication to the game.

Senior Caroline Kachnowski reflected upon her experiences being involved in Sleepy Hollow lacrosse, adding, “Each and every season has been beyond enjoyable and rewarding. I was able to learn, challenge myself, and best of all, spend time with such wonderful and talented girls. It has by far been one of my favorite high school experiences. It was something I would look forward to every year and will most definitely be one of the parts I’ll miss most about high school.”