High-Risk Sports

High-Risk Sports

February/March 2021

The pandemic has affected everyone, but what many seem to neglect is how the Covid-19 pandemic has affected student-athletes, especially those who play high-risk sports. It is common knowledge that the absence of social distancing and masks can lead to an inflation of cases in a community. Recently, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention released more information, stating that only sports that can be held outdoors with social distancing will be allowed to resume. There is an ongoing debate as to whether or not high-risk sports should resume. Regardless of whether these high-risk sports receive their season or not, the main priority is for everyone to be safe. If high-risk sports resume, student-athletes will have the opportunity for college recruitments, which some student-athletes depend on for acceptance to college. However, Covid-19 cases may increase as well, especially since some experts argue and advise against the wearing of a mask. For sports such as wrestling, wearing masks may serve as a choking hazard. The CDC should allow high-risk sports to continue with some new, strict rules, if student-athletes are very eager to play. It is important to remember that these activities come with risks.

A great percentage of high school athletes want to resume their sport to be recruited for the college level, and during these sporting events, the CDC should restrict the number of people in the room. For example, during basketball games, only the teams, coaches, referees, and possible recruiters should be present. It is not the smartest idea for games to take place simply for entertainment purposes. Those games may be able to take place once the country as an entirety gets farther along with the coronavirus vaccinations. Since the vaccine became available, cases have notably gone down. Health experts say that the vaccine will become available to the general public around the spring or summer of this year, which provides a glimmer of hope for high-risk sports in the months to come.