Sleepy Hollow Against Racial Prejudice

Sleepy Hollow Against Racial Prejudice

February/March 2021

The African American Culture Club, also known as S.H.A.R.P. (Sleepy Hollow Against Racial
Prejudice), is fighting racial prejudice in Sleepy Hollow High School through educating and informing students. The
students in this club hold discussions about different topics on racial prejudice and recent events involving racism and discrimination.

Every January, the S.H.A.R.P. members brainstorm plans for Black History Month. This February, S.H.A.R.P. teamed up with the student equity leaders for a town hall meeting with students for Black History Month. During
the month of February, Dr. Smith hosted a segment on the announcements that S.H.A.R.P. members created to honor notable black figures. Last March, the students in S.H.A.R.P. presented a slideshow about police brutality to
the high school during an assembly.

Aside from announcements about notable black figures, last year S.H.A.R.P. members set up Sleepy Hollow High School’s first Black History Month presentation. In this presentation, the club members researched information about Black History Month and its importance. Furthermore, in the spirit of Black History Month, the students decorated the lounge with posters of black figures and their contributions along with red, black, and green banners.

In the future, the club members hope to contribute to not only addressing the racial prejudice in Sleepy Hollow High School but also taking part in addressing the racial prejudice faced by many groups throughout the world. With counselor meetings for next year’s classes commencing, members are constructing a plan to encourage BIPOCs to
take advanced courses.

While normally held in the college center, meetings this year are held through Google Meet. Students who would like to join S.H.A.R..P or would like to learn how they can help advocate for racial equity are encouraged to email Sandra Adremi for more information at [email protected]