Sleepy Hollow Student Named Top 300 Scholar in Regeneron Science Talent Search

January 2021

Maya Weitzen, a senior at Sleepy Hollow High School, was named a top 300 scholar in the 80th Regeneron Science Talent Search (STS) on Thursday, January 7th. The Regeneron STS competition is the nation’s oldest and most prestigious science and mathematics competition for high school seniors. This year, 1,760 students entered from across the country.

Weitzen’s project was titled “High-throughput discovery and validation of tumor-specific HLA-presented peptides in non-small cell lung carcinogens.” Essentially, she collected and studied data from lung cancer cell lines to discover and validate new targets for potential immunotherapies. “Throughout my life, science has been a constant – a beacon of hope, curiosity, and difference-making,” Weitzen said. “I’ve always known that this field is something that I love and want to continue for the rest of my life.” She will be awarded $2,000 for personal use and SHHS will receive $2,000 for STEM-related activities.

Out of these 300 students, 40 finalists will be announced on January 21st. The 40 finalists will each receive $25,000 and compete in March for a grand prize of $250,000. Congratulations to Maya Weitzen and the Sleepy Hollow Science Research program!