7 Questions with Mrs. Madani

Back to Article
Back to Article

7 Questions with Mrs. Madani

Many of you know Mrs. Madani as Sleepy Hollow’s adored physics teacher, but do you really know her? Here is a quick insight into some of her hobbies and favorite stories. 

How did you become a physics teacher?

The school decided to hire Mr. Franco for the position I applied for. When the principal asked me if I liked physics, I lied and said, “Of course!” I spent the next few years trying to learn physics, the science course I hated most in high school and college, but I’m so glad I put in the effort because it’s my favorite science now.

Any tattoos? If so, where, and of what?

I have a back tattoo that covers my whole back. It’s of 10 postcards from some of my favorite countries I’ve traveled to and there are stamps and other mementos of states that I’ve been to. I also have a small tattoo on the front of my right hip. It’s of a melting clock from the Salvador Dali painting, The Persistence of Memory.

What’s the name of your band?

Flushing Tea Party.

What instruments do you play?

I’m the singer and co-songwriter with my guitarist in the band. Once upon a time, I played the clarinet, piano, and guitar.

What is the infamous scuba story?

While I was becoming PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) certified to scuba dive in college, I lost my eyesight. When I went to the optometrist and he dilated my eyes, he said, “I don’t know how you drove here today – you should be blind. Your retinas in both eyes are 50% detached.” I had to go in for emergency eye surgery at Duke Medical Eye Center, and consequently missed my college finals senior year. I had to do an additional semester of college because I lost so much time during the recovery. On a positive note, I ended up losing my freshman 15 pounds, so at least I looked good after going blind.

Can you tell us about something crazy you’ve done?

I think it is best that I don’t share with you the crazy stuff I’ve done in my life. But one of my nutty moments led to me almost amputating my left shin. I have a wicked scar there now.

Have you ever made a student cry?

Every year since my first year of teaching.